The container must be portable.
Everything you need must be organized and squeezed into a portable container small enough for you to carry. I personally think a backpack is the most versatile and easiest to carry. Even smaller children can carry a small backpack with some of their own belongings tucked inside.
Adults away from home during the day should keep a 72 hour kit in their car or worksite.
Another easy option for those who are young or old is a suitcase (or backpack) with a handle and wheels.
Make a “Bug Out Bag for Children”
But don’t wait until you have the perfect container to start your 72 hour kit. Begin by assembling the items and then find a container to hold everything. It is best if the containers you choose are waterproof also.
Okay, let’s get started:
Food and Water
(A three-day supply of food and water, per person, when no refrigeration or cooking is available)
• Protein/Granola Bars
• High calorie food bars
• Trail Mix/Dried or dehydrated Fruit
• Crackers/Cereals (for munching)
• Canned Tuna, Beans, Turkey, Beef, Vienna Sausages, etc (“pop-top” cans that open without a can-opener may explode as the tops are not as stable as regular cans)
• Juice in foil packets
• Candy (not anything that will melt) and gum
• Water (1 Gallon/4 Liters Per Person)
• Water filter bottle
• Bedding and Clothing
• Change of Clothing (short and long sleeved shirts, pants, jackets, hat etc.)
• Comfortable Walking shoes and socks (prevents blisters)
• Lightweight Rain Coat/Poncho
• Blankets and Emergency Heat Blankets (that keep in warmth)
• Cloth Sheet
• Opaque Plastic Sheet (can be used as barrier for ground, to provide shade from sun or shelter from rain)
• Tube Tent
Fuel and Light
• Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps, etc. with fresh batteries or solar lights)
• Extra Batteries
• Light sticks (12 hour life)
• Water-Proof Matches
• Can Opener
• Radio (with fresh and extra batteries! Or rechargeable type with cell phone charger)
• Pen and Paper, permanent markers
• Pocket Knife (utility knife with many functions)
• Leatherman tool
• Gloves leather and plastic
• Cell phone
• Duct tape
Personal Supplies and Medication
• First Aid Supplies
• Toiletries (roll of toilet paper- remove the center tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock bag, feminine hygiene products)
• Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer, soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. disposable towlettes)
• Medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, children’s medication etc.)
• Prescription Medication (for 3 days)
• Extra eye glasses or contacts.
• Tooth brush, tooth paste, small hair brush
Personal Documents and Money
• Copies of Legal Documents (Birth/Marriage Certificates, Wills, Passports, Contracts, etc)
• Immunization Records
• Copies of Insurance Policies
• Cash (Small bills)
• Credit Card
• Pre-Paid Phone Cards
• Photos of all family members for identification
• Telephone numbers for out of area family contacts
• Assorted sizes of plastic bags (can be used for storage, sanitation, garbage, rain poncho, etc.)
• Infant Needs (if applicable), formula, food, diapers, clothing
• Pet needs (if applicable), food, collapsible bowls, leash,
• Update your 72 Hour Kit every six months (put a note in your calendar/planner – a good time to remember is General Conference weekend or when the time changes) to make sure that: all food, water, and medication is fresh and has not expired; clothing fits; personal documents and credit cards are up to date; and batteries are charged.
• Small toys/games, books, coloring books and crayons are important too as they will provide some comfort and entertainment during a stressful time.
• Older children can be responsible for their own pack of items/clothes too.
Personalize this 72 hour kit list for your family. Add or subtract according to likes, dislikes, and needs of each person.
Idea: Build two extra kits to use for bartering or helping others. You may be able to trade a $100 backpack for a new car or truck!
Sites for purchasing kits:
6,836 seller ratings
No tax + Free shipping
2,706 seller ratings
Tax: $5.97 + Shipping: $9.65
$92.61 (with tax and shipping)
263,796 seller ratings
Tax: $6.82 + Shipping: $10.79
$94.60(with tax and shipping)